SITE SoCal: A 2018 Overview
SITE SoCal, you sure have outdone yourself! The RESULTS we’ve been able to achieve this year as an organization are truly impressive and only possible due to your excellent participation and support of our chapter’s efforts – THANK YOU!
2018 is SITE SoCal’s 20th year as part of the SITE global community and with our yearlong Celebrate! theme, we’ve had three goals. Our first has been to acknowledge our success and Celebrate! how we have arrived to where we are. Our second goal has been to focus on the core values of SITE’s brand identity: Connections, Creativity, Trust and Results.
During each quarter of the year, we’ve hosted an educational program focusing on one of these core values.
- In March we hosted “Finding Connections in Conflict” featuring Judy Ringer at Pendry San Diego, focusing on and celebrating CONNECTIONS.
- In the second quarter, we focused on CREATIVITY with the “Haute Dokimazo Takeover” at The Ranch at Laguna Beach in May.
- TRUST was our theme for our third quarter when we gathered at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows for an exploration of trust with speakers on the global, industry, and personal perspectives of this important value.
- Kicking off the final quarter in October and to bring everything together with our program on RESULTS we brought in Jill Harrington for a great program on Halloween at Rancho Valencia Resort & Spa.
In addition to our education programs, we’ve also hosted:
- Annual Vision & Board Installation Dinner at AV Irvine in January
- Certified Incentive Specialty (CIS) Certification Program at The Ranch at Laguna Beach in July
- 1st Annual Global Meetings Industry Day (GMID) Collaboration with MPISCC and PCMA Southwest and Pacific Chapters at Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City in April
- Tri-City Young Leader’s Mixer in April
- 2nd Annual Member Only Event on Catalina Island in June
- 14th Annual Hospitality Cruise Aboard Inspiration Hornblower in August
In between planning and participating in these events, we’ve been able to:
- Revive our Quarterly Newsletter, increase traffic on our blog (nearly 2,300 hits this year!), and continue to grow our reach on social media
- Sustain membership at 370+ SITE SoCal Members, the highest number of members we’ve had to date, as the largest SITE chapter in our global organization
- Award (8) SITE SoCal Young Leaders with scholarships to attend the SITE Young Leader Global Conference
- Donate $4,000 to SITE Foundation to support industry research
- Participate in SITE’s Sustainability Global Committee to help develop a charter for sustainability
- Support Gently Hugged, The Dream builders Project and San Diego Food Bank through charitable efforts at our educational luncheon events. Volunteers from SITE SoCal also helped Donovan’s Smile, The Rock Club, and CureDuchenne, through our Love, Serve & Care opportunities.
- Complete our Chapter of the Year Awards submission (winners will be announced in January at the SITE 2019 Global Conference in Bangkok, Thailand)
- Slate our 2019 Board of Directors
- Exceed fundraising goals
- And more!
We’ve had hard times too. Wildfires have impacted our Southern California community once again. One of our board members was directly impacted and if you’re able to donate or share to help her and her family through this difficult time, please click HERE.
The year isn’t over and we’re still working to do more. This community is outstanding and we come together in times of need and in times of celebration. Our 20th Annual Holiday Event & Charity Auction is on December 10th and 11th on Coronado Island and we have an exciting agenda full of surprises. We’ve selected three wonderful charities to benefit from this event.
It’s not too late to be involved and I encourage you to get a head start on 2019. Please reach out to volunteer, serve on a committee, and explore ways to maximize your membership with SITE SoCal. We have an outstanding Young Leader’s program and our committees are building momentum. We need your help to take SITE SoCal to the next level!
Our third goal of the Celebrate theme this year is “to be sure that SITE SoCal is Celebrating for many years to come!” As part of this, our next initiative as we phase into 2019 will be the SITE SoCal Legacy program. SITE SoCal is a chapter rich with members of exceptional talent and professional experience. Our board recognizes these members as mentors, friends, and advisors and will be asking our Legacy members (members of 10+ years and Past Presidents) to support our chapter by sharing knowledge and advice. In return, we promise to honor you and SITE SoCal’s Legacy. Legacy Ambassadors – Brigitte Lundrigan (President 2010), Geraldine Gatehouse (President 2015), and Connie Reeves (10+ Year Member), and myself are working on this initiative with our 2019 Board of Directors. Stay tuned for more information and exciting updates on our SITE Legacy program!
Thank you, SITE SoCal for joining me to Celebrate! In 2018. Let’s keep this fantastic momentum going.
2018 SITE SoCal President